Some Good Basic Skin Care to Know: Yes, There is Always Time to Save Your Skin Part: 1

    100_7628

    Let me tell you a secret. I am, gulp, 40 years old. I hate to admit it. Seriously. The reason why I am admitting this is because I have great skin and I don’t look 40 years old. I have people come up to me constantly asking for tips and tricks on makeup and skincare. So I thought I would start with some basics. I am an esthetician and makeup artist so I have at least a minimum of knowledge to get you on your way!

     

    • Stay out of the sun or use a high SPF sunblock. I know you have heard this time and time again but it is the most important of any message that someone in the industry will tell you. Start early and use it often. I am of Germanic descent so I really have to watch, I burn like a lobster! If you can, pick an SPF with a mineral base. That wnuld be one that has the ingredients titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide. These work to reflect the sun’s rays and are usually in sunblocks that are called “sensitive skin”. Chemical sunblocks are okay but can cause irritation in some people and they can not be used near the eye area.
    • Second, as soon as possible, develop a skincare routine that is appropriate for your age. I have children and they already use moisturizer with sunscreen, body lotion after baths and showers, lip balm and copious amounts of hand cream to combat the dry air. Start your kids on a cleanser, and a light moisturizer with sunscreen at first. Make sure they stay up with it in the summer!
    • If you start to develop acne, treat it right. I specialize in acne. It does not always need a physician but you have to also realize when over the counter products aren’t working either. Benzoyl peroxide works well, but it is a prophylactic (preventative) for acne and thus you need to use it all over not as a spot treatment. Also it is very drying to the skin, so those 10% amounts in the drugstore can cause an effect where the skin will produce more oil to compensate for the dryness, thus fueling the acne machine.
    • Once you hit 20-30 you need to speed up the exfoliation process. Light peels and scrubs work well for this. The kind that you find at Sephora are great. Make sure to continue with the sunblock. Add an eye cream, very light, to prevent any fine lines from forming. Facials are nice to have once in a while or regularly if there is a condition that would require them.

    So that is the beginning of my basic skin care guide. In Part 2. I will go from the 30’s on up!

    Source URL: http://makeupjunkee.blogspot.com/2011/10/some-good-basic-skin-care-to-know-yes_03.html
    Visit Makeup Junkie for Daily Updated Makeup Junkie Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive